You may have questions before your facelift surgery, and you may not know what to expect. We’re here to help with some answers to common questions about getting a facelift.
1. Am I too young for a facelift?
Everyone ages at their own pace, and you can have concerns about your face shape at any age. With that in mind, there are no specific age requirements for a facelift procedure.
Most people who get a full facelift are in their 50s and 60s, and mini facelifts are more common for those in their 30s and 40s. No matter what age you are, Dr. Mucci will work with you to give you the look that makes you feel your best.
2. How will my face shape affect my procedure?
There are many differences in face shapes and features, and some people may wonder how the shape of their face will affect their facelift procedure. Like any surgery, there is no one box that everyone fits in.
Before surgery, you will meet with the surgeon to review your medical history and do a facial exam. The facial exam will be a simple process to help Dr. Mucci get a good understanding of the features of your face. This will allow him to make a plan that is unique to you and your needs.
3. What do I need to do to prepare?
Once your surgery is scheduled, there are a few things that you as the patient can do ahead of time to help things run smoothly:
- The first important step is to follow any instructions given to you by the surgeon before your facelift, such as stopping certain medications, vitamins, and supplements which may impact the healing process.
- Typically, you will be asked not to eat anything after midnight the night before your surgery, but you would still be allowed to drink water. To help plan for the morning, consider setting a reminder for yourself when you go to bed.
- The morning of your surgery you will also likely be asked to wash your face and hair with a germicidal soap.
Following the surgeon’s guidance can help to ensure a safe surgery and a smooth recovery. After all, he has your best interest at heart, so putting your trust in Dr. Mucci can give you peace of mind.
4. How long does it take to recover/heal?
There are many factors that can contribute to how long recovery may take, such as each patient’s age, health, and the specifics of the procedure.
Initial recovery can take about 1-2 weeks, but patients should take things easy for the first month before doing any serious exercise. It may take 2-4 weeks for patients to look and feel like they are back to normal, so it is a good idea to have patience and make sure to follow up with the doctor if you have any concerns.
5. Are the results permanent?
While the goal of a facelift is to give your face and neck a more youthful appearance, it cannot stop the natural aging process. That being said, a typical facelift will make a patient look about 10 years younger. Over time the facial skin may begin to droop again due to age and sun exposure, so the results of a facelift are not permanent. Nevertheless, a typically facelift patient will continue to appear more refreshed and younger than their actual age.
If you have any additional questions or are interested in talking with Dr. Mucci, give us a call.