How to Choose the Right Plastic Surgeon for You
Picking a plastic surgeon is a very big decision, and one worthy of serious consideration. After all, the plastic surgeon you choose will be making irreversible alterations to your body.
It can seem daunting to choose a plastic surgeon, especially given the wide array of choices available, but it doesn’t need to be that difficult.
To start, let’s talk qualifications. These are must-haves.
- Does the surgeon have privileges to do the planned operation at a hospital?
- American Board of PLASTIC Surgery certification
- To verify ABPS certification - https://www.abplasticsurgery.org/public/verify-certification/ModDefault....
- American Board of Medical Specialist certification (this is a collection of the original and generally recognized boards)
- To verify ABMS Cerification - http://www.abms.org/verify-certification/certification-matters-service-f...
- Academic and professional experience as a plastic surgeon - look for fellowships and years of experience in the field
- Experience with YOUR particular procedure
If a plastic surgeon can’t demonstrate these qualifications, then it’s best to look elsewhere. Once you’ve taken a good look at qualifications, you can start considering their other qualities.
Choosing a plastic surgeon is also a matter of taste - you’ll want to consider aspects of a surgeon that can’t be listed on a piece of paper. Meet with your plastic surgeon and spend some time discussing your goals with them. Get to know them. In particular, ask yourself the following questions…
- Do you like the results the surgeon has achieved with other patients for this procedure? Aesthetics come into play with cosmetic surgery - what may be very appealing to one patient may be distasteful to another. Ask the surgeon for pictures and examples of the results of past procedures. Most people don’t know exactly what they are looking for, but can get a better idea through looking at pictures and saying “yes” or “no.”
- Do they have an individualized plan for me and my procedure? No cosmetic surgery procedure is a one-size-fits-all process. Your surgeon should be able to present and discuss a plan for a procedure tailored to your specific goals, needs, and body.
- Do you like this surgeon? It may seem like an odd question, but truth is, you will be spending a lot of time with the surgeon. They don’t need to be your best friend, but if you find them unpleasant or disagreeable, the whole procedure will be a much more stressful experience. The procedure will already be taxing and emotionally draining - choose a plastic surgeon who will make you feel comfortable and at ease.
- Do you trust this surgeon? This surgeon will be making a variety of recommendations for your health and your body. They will also be asking you a host of questions about your lifestyle and medical history. You may need to share your entire medical history with them, so it’s best to find a surgeon you trust whole-heartedly.
- Is the surgeon easy to understand and helpful in explaining the procedure and post-op? Surgeons are experts about the human body, but we’ve all heard less than favorable stories about doctors who aren’t great communicators. You need to have a crystal clear understanding of what will be involved in the procedure and what you need to do for a best-case recovery. Choose a doctor who makes everything very easy for you to understand.
For more help with choosing a cosmetic, plastic, and reconstructive surgeon, contact Dr. Mucci at (248) 283-1115 today.